Friday, November 2, 2012

Free Write- What is your favorite thing about November?

November is a great month. It's one of those months that will alway triumph over all other months. November is the end of fall, The final leaves begin to fall, the weather turns bitter and cold, the wind becomes more of a freezing wind rather than a cool breeze. November is the month where it becomes socially acceptable to wear scarfs, peacoats, and cute winter hats. But my absolute favorite time of November is at the end of the month. Thanksgiving is a time were the entire family gets together and just enjoy's each other's company. There's no pressure of giving gifts, or candy, or cards. Just people gathering to eat and be thankful for what and who they have in their lives.

As a pre-teen I absolutely hated Thanksgiving. I hated going to my grandma's house and being packed in there like a can of sardines. It was a little less sucky when my oldest cousin came. We could hide out in his room and just watch movies or play games. It wasn't until a few years ago that i actually started to come out and socialize with my family. The turning point came when we were on my way to my grandmas house and my mom just said "make sure not to be too loud around your Grandpa. He's not feeling well." I wasn't really that worried because i was a rather quiet child. So I stopped listening to what my mom had to say. I didn't start listening again until i heard her say: "This could be his lat Thanksgiving. so we need to enjoy the time we have." I don't know what she was talking about before that and I never had the courage to ask. All i knew was that this could be the last time we all eat Thanksgiving dinner together.

From that point on I loved going to my Grandma's. It turned out my Grandpa had a few more Thanksgiving's and Christmas's. Unfortunately that changed my freshman year. Thanksgiving the following year wasn't quite the same without him. The environment was all wrong. rather than laughter and jokes, there was this awkward mournful atmosphere. It was weird at first, not having him there. But eventually the environment came back to being a comfortable cozy setting.

Now, as a teenager who loves to cook, Thanksgiving has become one of my favorite things. I get to cook something to take to my Grandmas and I cook a thanksgiving dinner for my intermediate family at my house. Everyone, for one day, is just really grateful to have that one person who can actually cook in their family. Luckily, that person is me.




Photography, Pink Sherbet. "I Love October." Flickr. Yahoo!, 04 Oct. 2012. Web. 02 Nov. 2012. <http://www.flickr.com/photos/40645538@N00/4053524544/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment